Beach Fossils.









Last month I went to Dana Point with my Mineralogy class to look at the endless minerals found strewn on the beach. We hiked a good mile or two away from the main beach and found ourselves on a beaten path with tall graded beds to our right, and the ocean to our left. If you've taken any entry-level courses in Geology, you'll know that minerals and rocks get eroded and transported via water, which is what we were looking at the entire day. My professor lectured for about an hour, then let us go to pretend to be field geologists for the rest of the day. Honestly, if my full-time job were to find minerals at the beach and classify them, I'd be okay with that. Anyway, theses were some of the things that I wasn't supposed to bring back with me that I pocketed: gneiss, calcitic shells, blue schists, halite (licked it to make sure) with embedded algae, and tons of epidote and olivine.